There are many forms of comfort food..soups, gratins, a nice hot spicy curry. With the weather still being as cold as it can ever be, I find myself craving for some comfort food. This aloo gobi or Alu Gobi is quite a staple dish on the menu in our home. I make it all year round. Its very simple and quick. My little boy likes it too. He is fond of anything that has “caulifaalaa” in it. Though he isnt very keen on potatoes, they are forgiven because they come along with the “caulifaalaa”!
Aloo Gobi Gravy Recipe
1 medium head of cauliflower, cleaned and cut into florets
3-4 medium potatoes, boiled and peeled. Boil them just until done such that they retain shape and do not turn mushy.
1 large onion, chopped fine
3 medium tomatoes, chopped. Alternatively use 1 cup tinned tomatoes
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced fine
1 inch of ginger, grated
1 cup thick yoghurt
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tbsp dhania/coriander powder
1 tbsp garam masala or kitchen king masala
1 tsp methi or fenugreek seeds
2 tsp salt, or as per taste
half tsp sugar
1 tbsp kasoori methi
2 tbsp oil + 1 tsp oil
1 lt + half cup water
half tsp turmeric
a few coriander/cilantro leaves, onion rings, lemon wedges, optional, for garnishing
1. Cook the cauliflower florets in salted 1 lt water until just done. This took me around 2-3 mins. Drain water and keep florets aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds, ginger, garlic, onions and fry until onions turn translucent.
3. Add tomatoes and cook for another 2 mins until tomatoes are softened.
4. Add kasoori methi, garam masala or kitchen king masala, dhania/coriander powder, chilli powder, turmeric and cook for 3-5 mins until you see the oil separating from the spices.
5. Take out the mixture from the heat and puree it into a smooth paste using a blender.
6. In the same pan, heat a tsp of oil and add methi/fenugreek seeds. Once they splutter, Add the cauliflower and potatoes and sauté for a min or two. Add 1 or 2 pinch of salt.
7. Now add the pureed mixture and remaining salt, sugar, half cup water and mix well. Bring to boil.
8. Turn off the heat and add yoghurt, mix well and garnish with cilantro, onion rings.
9. Serve with rice or rotis.